- The obturator nerve in human anatomy arises from the ventral divisions of the second, third, and fourth lumbar nerves in the lumbar plexus; the branch from the third is the largest, while that from the second is often very small.
- It is the branch of anterior division of lumbar plexus
- It descends through the fibers of the psoas major, and emerges from its medial border near the brim of the pelvis; it then passes behind the common iliac arteries, and on the lateral side of the internal iliac artery and ureter, and runs along the lateral wall of the lesser pelvis, above and in front of the obturator vessels, to the upper part of the obturator foramen.
- It crosses dorsal surface of ischial spine
- Here it enters the thigh, through the obturator canal, and divides into an anterior and a posterior branch, which are separated at first by some of the fibers of the obturator externus, and lower down by the adductor brevis.
- The obturator nerve is responsible for the sensory innervation of the skin of the medial aspect of the thigh.
- The nerve is also responsible for the motor innervation of the adductor muscles of the lower extremity (external obturator, adductor longus, adductor brevis, adductor magnus, gracilis) and the pectineus (inconstant). It is, notably, not responsible for the innervation of the obturator internus, despite the similarity in name.
- Anterior branch of obturator nerve
- Posterior branch of obturator nerve
- Cutaneous branch of the obturator nerve
- Adductor compartment is innervated by obturator nerve
- Obturator nerve is the branch of anterior division of lumbar plexus
- Tibial part of sciatic nerve ,Obturator nerve supply adductor magnus
- The structure crossing dorsal surface of ischial spine is the Obturator nerve
Don’t Forget to Take the Below Quiz Based on All Previous Year
Question of NBE /NEET / DNB
0 of 8 questions completed
You must specify an email address.
You have already completed the quiz before. Hence you can not start it again.
Quiz is loading...
You must sign in or sign up to start the quiz.
You have to finish following quiz, to start this quiz:
0 of 8 questions answered correctly
Time has elapsed
You have reached 0 of 0 points, (0)
Thanks for Taking the Quiz .
Join Us on Whats App to get notification on any new quiz uploaded
Whats App Your Name & College Name to +91 770 2266770
|Table is loading|
|No data available|
Which muscles are supplied by obturator nerve‑CorrectIncorrect
Which of the following muscle group is innervated by obturator nerve?CorrectIncorrect
Structure crossing dorsal surface of the structure marked by a “red arrow” are ?CorrectIncorrect
All nerves pass thorugh greater sciatic notch except ‑CorrectIncorrect
All are branches of lumbar plexus except‑CorrectIncorrect
Nerve Supply of the Muscle marked as Muscle A in the diagram isCorrectIncorrect
Nerve supply of adductor magnus is through:CorrectIncorrect
The branch of anterior division includes:CorrectIncorrect