- The saphenous nerve (long or internal saphenous nerve) is the largest cutaneous branch of the femoral nerve. It is a strictly sensory nerve, and has no motor function.
- It approaches the femoral artery where this vessel passes beneath the sartorius, and lies in front of the artery, behind the aponeurotic covering of the adductor canal, as far as the opening in the lower part of the Adductor magnus.
- Here it diverges from the artery, and emerges from behind the lower edge of the aponeurotic covering of the canal; it descends vertically along the medial side of the knee behind the sartorius, pierces the fascia lata, between the tendons of the Sartorius and Gracilis, and becomes subcutaneous.
- The nerve then passes along the tibial side of the leg, accompanied by the great saphenous vein, descends behind the medial border of the tibia, and, at the lower third of the leg, divides into two branches:
- one continues its course along the margin of the tibia, and ends at the ankle.
- the other passes in front of the ankle, and is distributed to the skin on the medial side of the foot, as far as the ball of the great toe, communicating with the medial branch of the superficial peroneal nerve.
- The saphenous nerve, about the middle of the thigh, gives off a branch which joins the subsartorial plexus.
- At the medial side of the knee it gives off a large infrapatellar branch, which pierces the sartorius and fascia lata, and is distributed to the skin in front of the patella.
- Below the knee, the branches of the saphenous nerve (medial crural cutaneous branches) are distributed to the skin of the front and medial side of the leg, communicating with the cutaneous branches of the femoral, or with filaments from the obturator nerve.
- Saphenous nerve lies in adductor canal
- Saphenous nerve is a branch of femoral nerve
Don’t Forget to Take the Below Quiz Based on All Previous Year
Question of NBE /NEET / DNB
0 of 4 questions completed
You must specify an email address.
You have already completed the quiz before. Hence you can not start it again.
Quiz is loading...
You must sign in or sign up to start the quiz.
You have to finish following quiz, to start this quiz:
0 of 4 questions answered correctly
Time has elapsed
You have reached 0 of 0 points, (0)
Thanks for Taking the Quiz .
Join Us on Whats App to get notification on any new quiz uploaded
Whats App Your Name & College Name to +91 770 2266770
|Table is loading|
|No data available|
Saphenous nerve is a branch of:CorrectIncorrect
All of the following are contents of adductor canal, EXCEPT?CorrectIncorrect
The contents of the aponeurotic adductor canal of Hunter are all, EXCEPT?CorrectIncorrect
Contents of Adductor canal are all EXCEPT:CorrectIncorrect