- The tibial nerve is a branch of the sciatic nerve.
- The tibial nerve passes through the popliteal fossa to pass below the arch of soleus.
- In the popliteal fossa the nerve gives off branches to gastrocnemius, popliteus, soleus and plantaris muscles, an articular branch to the knee joint, and a cutaneous branch that will become the sural nerve. The sural nerve is joined by fibres from the common fibular nerve and runs down the calf to supply the lateral side of the foot.
- Below the soleus muscle the nerve lies close to the tibia and supplies the tibialis posterior, the flexor digitorum longus and the flexor hallucis longus. The nerve passes into the foot running posterior to the medial malleolus. Here it is bound down by the flexor retinaculum in company with the posterior tibial artery.
- In the foot, the nerve divides into medial and lateral plantar branches.
Medial plantar nerve
- The medial plantar nerve supplies: the abductor hallucis, the flexor digitorum brevis, the flexor hallucis brevis and the first lumbrical.
- Cutaneous distribution of the medial plantar nerve is to the medial sole and medial three and one half toes, including the nail beds on the dorsum (like the median nerve in the hand).
Lateral plantar nerve
- The lateral plantar nerve supplies quadratus plantae, flexor digiti minimi, adductor hallucis, the interossei, three lumbricals, and abductor digiti minimi.
- Cutaneous innervation is to the lateral sole and lateral one and one half toes (like the ulnar nerve).
Muscular innervation a movements
|Extensors of thigh & flexors of leg:Biceps femoris (long head)
Adductors of thigh: Adductor magnus
Plantar flexors of foot: Plantaris, Gastrocnemius, Soleus, Tibialis Posterior
Flexors of leg: Popliteus
Flexors of toe: Flexor digitorum longus, Flexor hallucis longus
|None||Medial and Lateral Plantar
- Nerve supply of adductor magnus is through tibial nerve & obturator nerve
- Popliteus Muscle supplied by tibial nerve
Don’t Forget to Take the Below Quiz Based on All Previous Year
Question of NBE /NEET / DNB
0 of 4 questions completed
You must specify an email address.
You have already completed the quiz before. Hence you can not start it again.
Quiz is loading...
You must sign in or sign up to start the quiz.
You have to finish following quiz, to start this quiz:
0 of 4 questions answered correctly
Time has elapsed
You have reached 0 of 0 points, (0)
Thanks for Taking the Quiz .
Join Us on Whats App to get notification on any new quiz uploaded
Whats App Your Name & College Name to +91 770 2266770
|Table is loading|
|No data available|
Nerve supply of muscle shown in this picture is throughCorrectIncorrect
True about popliteus are all except‑CorrectIncorrect
Nerve Supply of the Muscle marked as Muscle A in the diagram isCorrectIncorrect
Nerve supply of adductor magnus is through:CorrectIncorrect