The drug of choice in a patient suffering from muscular cramps, salivation, frothing from mouth, sweating, lacrimation, blurring of vision, miosis,bronchorrhea etc after consuming the food item shown in the picture below is which among the following?
Patient is suffering from Mushroom poisoning with Muscarinic effects.
- There are different type of Mushroom toxins:
- GI poisons are the most frequently encountered mushroom toxins like Amatoxins, hepatotoxins, Epileptogenic toxins,Nephrotoxins,CNS poisons like Muscarine, psilocybin, etc.
- In mushroom poisoning that primarily contain Muscarinic effect, the following manifestations may be seen:
- Exhaustion, irritability, muscular cramps, salivation, frothing from mouth, sweating, lacrimation, blurring of vision, miosis, ptosis, bronchorrhea, cough, wheeze, tachypnea, rhonchi, bradycardia, hypotension, abdominal cramps, vomiting, and diarrhea were observed.
- The drug of choice for mushroom poisoning manifesting with muscarinic effects is Atropine.