Drug of choice for Case of Poisoning of Substance shown in Photograph is?
C. Protamine sulphate.
D. N-acetyl cysteine.
Ans:C. Protamine sulfate
- Heparin is blood thinner that is given to patients in order to prevent blood clot formation.
- The main function of heparin is to prevent the conversion of clotting factors to avoid the formation of blood clots.
- The main symptom of an heparin overdose is the occurrence of bleeding. The patient will experience GI bleeding,Nose Bleeding,petechia over skin
- Protamine sulfate has been given to counteract the anticoagulant effect of heparin.
- It binds to heparin to form a stable ion pair, which does not have anticoagulant ctivity.
- The ionic complex is then removed and broken down by the reticuloendothelial system.