Treatment of choice for toxicity of element shown in photograph is ?
A. Alkaline diuresis.
B. High dose oxygen.
D. Beta blockers.
- Lithium is commonly used as maintenance treatment of bipolar disorder.
- It has a relatively narrow therapeutic index that predisposes patients on lithium maintenance treatment to poisoning with relatively minor changes in medications or health status.
- The central nervous system (CNS) is the major organ system affected, although the renal, gastrointestinal (GI), endocrine, and cardiovascular (CV) systems also may be involved.
- Lithium clearance is predominantly through the kidneys. Because it is minimally protein bound, lithium is freely filtered at a rate that is dependent upon the glomerular filtration rate (GFR).
- Airway control
- Fluid therapy. The goal of saline administration is to restore glomerular filtration rate (GFR), normalize urine output, and enhance lithium clearance.
- Dialysis:It is readily dialyzed because of water solubility, low volume of distribution, and lack of protein binding.
- Hemodialysis is indicated for patients who have renal failure and are unable to eliminate lithium,in patients who cannot tolerate hydration such patients with congestive heart failure (CHF) or liver disease and in patients who develop severe signs of neurotoxicity such as profound altered mental status and seizure