A. Only cyst is infective.
B. Reside in ceacum.
C. Only man to man transmission.
D. Exist in one phases.
The organism shown in the picture above represents Giardiasis.
Trophozoites and cysts, both are present in the feces, but it is the resistant cyst that survive outside the body and is responsible for transmission.
- Infective dose is low ingestion of as few as 10 cysts is sufficient to cause infection in humans.
- Giardia resides in duodenum and jejunum.
- Giardia is usually transmitted from man to man by fecal-oral route. But infection can also be transmitted from animals to man :
- “Giardiasis in dogs is definitely transmissible to humans and serves as a common source for children”.
- Giardia exists in two forms, i.e. trophozoites and cyst.