Method of identification using an imprint shown in the photograph below ?
Identification of an Individual in Forensic Science
- Locard’s principle of exchange
- When 2 objects come in contact with each other, there will be always a mutual transference of material from each other.
Fingerprint / Dactylography / Dermatoglyphics :
- Dactylography is the process of taking impressions of the pulp of fingers and thumbs on an unglazed white paper and examining them with a magnifying lens.
- Although the word latent means hidden or invisible, in forensic science the term latent prints means any chance or accidental impression on a surface, regardless of whether it is visible or invisible at the time of deposition
- A finger or palm impression deposited in a material that retains the shape of the ridge detail.
- Example: Soft matrrials like wax, soap, clay, etc.
Visible print :
- impression on blood, paint, dust, dye which can be recorded by photography.
- It is a method of personal identification through the comparison of the impressions of sweat pores (present on friction ridges of palmar and plantar surfaces).
- It is synonymus with ‘footprint’. It is the study of the pattern of the skin of toes and heels from the soles of the feet.
- Cheiloscopy:Study of lip prints
- Rugoscopy:Study of palatal Rugae