Which among the following are true about the wound shown in the picture below ?
A. Breadth is maximum.
B. Length is maximum.
C. Depth is maximum.
D. Margin irregular.
Ans:C. Depth is maximum.
The wound in the picture above represents stab wound.
- Produced when a pointed weapon or object or instrument is forcibly thrust into the body
- May be same as the breadth of the blade of weapon or
- Slightly smaller because of elasticity of skin or
- Larger because of the lateral movement of the victim or assailant
- Breadth – may not approximate with each other because of gaping
- Depth – greatest among the 3 dimensions
- No relationship with the length of the weapon
- Margins – regular and clean cut
- Shape – depends on the type of weapon and site of injury
- Single edged weapon – wedge shaped or triangular. Blunt end of the wound may have small splits in the skin at each end of the corner – fishtailing
- Double edged weapon – spindle shaped or elliptical
- Indicated by the track of wound
- Helps to determine the relative position of the victim and assailant at the material time