Identify the type of injury shown in the photograph below ?
A. Graze abrasion.
B. Imprint abrasion.
C. Electric burn.
D. Arborescent burn.
Ans:A. Graze Abrasion.
- A wound consisting of superficial damage to the skin.
- Scratch abrasion
- Synonym: linear abrasion
- Sharp or pointed object not sharp enough to cause incised wound, but pointed enough to scratch
- E.g. thorn, fingernails, tip of knife
- Clean area at the start of the wound and tags at the end
- Helps in determining the direction of force
- Synonyms: grinding or sliding abrasions, brush burns
- Most common type – Commonly seen in road traffic accidents
- Occurs when the skin is rubbed (friction) against some rough surface
- Uneven, longitudinal parallel lines of abrasion are seen
- Epithelium heaped up at the end of these lines which indicates the direction of force
- Pressure abrasion
- Synonym: crushing abrasion
- Sustained pressure of a rough object at 90° – crushing of the superficial layers of the
- No force on impact, but sustained pressure after the object comes in contact with body surface
- E.g. Ligature mark in hanging and strangulation
- Impact abrasions
- Synonym: Contact abrasion or Imprint abrasion
- There is a moment of forceful impact, after that no contact of the object with body
- E.g: radiator grill mark, tyre tread marks seen in RTA
- Impact abrasions and Pressure abrasions – Patterned abrasions (as the pattern of the object causing the abrasion is reproduced on the body surface)