The mechanical asphyxia type shown in the picture above, represents mugging.
Mugging is compression of neck by bend of elbow.
Asphyxia is best described as an interference with respiration due to any cause – mechanical, environmental or toxic.
It is reduced air flow and/or blood flow to or from the brain via the intentional external compression of blood vessels or the airway in the neck. It is a type of Mechanical Asphyxia
- Ligature strangulation: neck constricted with a ligature
- Manual strangulation or Throttling: Neck constricted with hand
- Garroting – victim attacked from behind, throat may be grasped or ligature thrown and neck constricted
- Mugging – strangulation caused by holding the neck of the victim in the bend of the elbow
- Bandsola – neck constricted between two bamboo stick