Which among the following are not true about the condition shown in x-ray below?
A. Mouth breathing is seen.
B. High arched palate present.
C. There is failure to thrive.
D. CT scan should be done to assess size.
Adenoid hypertrophy/ Enlarged adenoids
- It is the unusual growth (“hypertrophy”) of the adenoid tonsil.
- Firstly described and adenoidectomy performed by the Danish physician Wilhelm Meyer (1824-1895) in Copenhagen in 1868.
- He described that a long term adenoid hypertrophy will cause an obstruction of the nasal airways.
- These will lead to a dentofacial growth anomaly that was defined as adenoid facies.
- There is very little lymphoid tissue in the nasopharynx of young babies; humans are born without substantial adenoids.