By looking at the female genitalia as shown in the picture below, estimate the aprox gestational age of the child ?
A. 28 weeks.
B. 38 weeks.
C. 48 weeks.
Prominence of the labia minora in a premature female infant as shown in the picture above represents the gestational age of aprox 28 weeks.
- The appearance of the genitalia can be used to assess gestational age.
- In a boy the testes descend into the scrotum during the last month of gestation, but they are often palpable in the inguinal canal by 28 to 30 weeks.
- The appearance of rugae on the scrotum parallels testicular migration, appearing first on the anterior scrotum at 36 weeks and covering the entire scrotal sac by 40 weeks.
- Absence of testicular descent alters the appearance of the scrotum at term.
- Clearly, congenital cryptorchidism complicates this evaluation.
- In a girl the labia majora tend to be overshadowed by the clitoris and labia minora until 34 to 36 weeks.
- In cases of fetal malnutrition, lack of subcutaneous fat, which should normally be present in the latter part of gestation, can interfere with assessment of the female genitalia.