Cause of liver condition as shown in the picture below in childhood include?
A. Alpha-1 antitrypsin deficiency.
B. Coeliac disease.
D. Cow’s milk intolerance.
Ans:A. Alpha-1 antitrypsin deficiency.
The liver condition shown in the picture above represents Liver cirrhosis.
Cirrhosis in children
- Cirrhosis is a histologically defined condition of the liver characterized by diffuse hepatocyte injury and regeneration.
- Causes of cirrhosis in children are ‑
1. Post necrotic
- Viral hepatitis → HBV, HCV
- Idiopathic neonatal hepatitis
- a1-antitrypsin deficiency
- Autoimmune or drug induced hepatitis
- Wilson disease
- Biliary atresia
- Choledochal cyst
- Tumor of bile duct
- Caroli disease
- Cystic fibrosis
- Primary sclerosing cholangitis
- Paucity of intrahepatic bile ducts
3. Hypersensitivity to drug → Phenytoin
4. Parasites → Opisthorchis sinensis, Ascaris, Fasciola.