A. Occurs only in the sensitized.
B. Site of skin lesion strictly depends upon the site of exposure.
C. Housewife’s eczema and industrial dermatitis are other examples of similar skin lesion.
D. B and C.
Ans:D. B and C .)Site of skin lesion strictly depends upon the site of exposure and Housewife’s eczema and industrial dermatitis are other examples of similar skin lesion.
Irritant contact dermatitis
- Synonyms: Occupational dermatitis, Housewive’s eczema
- Materials may injure by direct toxic action (irritants)
- Due to contact with irritants like detergents, acids, alkaline chemicals, oils, organic solvents etc
- Housewife’s eczema, diaper dermatitis and industrial dermatitis are examples of cumulative irritant contact dermatitis.
- Most common site affected is hand.
- Most common cause of contact dermatitis in Indian women – detergent.
Allergic contact dermatitis
- May induce immunological reaction of delayed hypersensitivity type (allergens) – Allergic contact dermatitis
- Most common metal causing contact dermatitis is nickel.
- Most common cause of air-borne contact dermatitis– parthenium.
- Barloque dermatitis due to cosmetics.
- Diagnosis: Patch test.
- Skin hypersensitivity test (delayed type).
- Readings are made after 48 hours.
Differences between irritant and allergic contact dermatitis: