Which of the following regarding the condition depicted in the image?
A. May be an indication of skin malignancy
C. May be associated with Insulin resistant diabetes mellitus
D. Commonly occurs in lean and thin.
Ans:C. May be associated with Insulin resistant diabetes mellitus
- Acanthosis nigricans is associated with obesity and insulin resistance in majority of the patients.
- Acanthosis is diffuse epidermal hyperplasia (thickening of the skin).
- Implies increased thickness of the Malpighian layer (stratum basale and stratum spinosum).
- Occurs primarily in flexural areas as velvety hyperpigmentation.
- Commonly seen in axilla.
- May be a reflection of endocrinopathy such as acromegaly, cushing’s syndrome, polycystic ovarian syndrome & GIT malignancy.