A patient presented with neck pain and rigidity, which gets relieved after bathing in hot water and also after exercise. Cervical X-ray is shown below. What is the likely diagnosis?
C. Compression fracture
Ans: A. Spondylolisthesis
(Ref: Apleys 9/e p464-466; Turek 6e p503)
- Given X-ray showing a forward displacement of the arrow-marked vertebra on lower one, suggestive of spondylolisthesis.
- Means forward translation of one segment of the spine upon another.
- Shift is nearly always between L4 and L5, or between L5 and the sacrum.
- Normal discs, laminae and facets constitute a locking mechanism that prevents each vertebra from moving forwards on the one below.
- Forward shift (or slip) occurs only when this mechanism has failed.