In which of the diseases is the following appearance of calves seen in a child?
A. Spinal muscular atrophy
C. Muscular dystrophy
D. Peripheral neuropathy
Ans: C. Muscular dystrophy
(Ref Harrison 19/e p462e-6, 18/e p3490-3491; Nelson 20/e p2976-2977)
- Findings suggestive of Duchenne muscular dystrophy.
Duchenne muscular dystrophy:
- Most common muscular dystrophy form.
- Enlargement of calves (pseudohypertrophy).
- Wasting of thigh muscles.
- Due to hypertrophy of some muscle fibers, infiltration of muscle by fat & collagen proliferation.
- Next most common site of muscular hypertrophy – Tongue → followed by forearm muscles.