Which of the following statements about tedizolid is true?
A. It causes peripheral neuropathy as an adverse effect
B. It is active against gram positive organisms
C. It has poor oral bioavailability
D. It is active against anaerobes
Ans. B. It is active against gram positive organisms
* Tedizolid Phosphate is an oxazolidinone-class antibiotic prodrug indicated in adults for the treatment of acute bacterial skin and skin structure infections (ABSSSI) caused by susceptible isolates of several Gram-positive bacteria.
* Following administration via oral or intravenous route, tedizolid phosphate prodrug is converted by plasma phosphatases to its active moiety, tedizolid.
* The active metabolite of tedizolid binds to the 50S bacterial ribosomal subunit, inhibiting protein synthesis and causing its bacteriostatic effects.
* Tedizolid is an effective and potent alternative to linezolid for the treatment of patients with Gram-positive ABSSSI due to MRSA or MSSA.
* Increased potency allows for once daily dosing with reduced total dosages, improving the side effect profile of this drug.
* Of note, the minimum inhibitory concentrations of tedizolid appear to be largely unaffected by the chloramphenicol-florfenicol resistance (cfr) gene, which has been implicated in a number of published linezolid-resistant organism outbreaks.
* OPTIC NEUROPATHY,PERIPHERAL NEUROPATHY ARE LESS SEEN WITH TEDIZOLID THAN OTHERS IN SAME CLASS