Found in pregnancy and lactation
A/w adrenal gland tumor
Ans. is C. i.e. Surgery done
Galactorrhea refers to the mammary secretion of milky fluid which is not physiological (not related to pregnancy or needs of the child) and is persistent and sometimes excessive.
- Color of fluid: Usually white, but can be yellow/green (local breast disease).
- Hormonally induced secretions come from multiple duct openings in contrast to pathological discharge that usually comes from a single duct.
- lt can be bilateral or unilateral
- Any galactorrhea demands evaluation in a multiparous woman and if at least 12 months have elapsed since the last pregnancy or weaning in a parous woman.
Differential diagnosis of Galactorrhea :
The basic mechanism is increased release of prolactin or depletion of dopamine.
|Due to Disorders||Drug-Induced|
The clinical problem of Galactorrhea :
The clinical problems related to galactorrhea are related to hyperprolactinemia like :
- Menstrual cycle disturbances leading to oligo-ovulation, corpus luteum insufficiency, and amenorrhea.
- Mild hirsutism.
Treatment of Galactorrhea :
- Treatment of Choice / Drug of Choice : Dopamine agonists viz Bromocriptine / Pergolide / Cabergoline.
- ln case of pituitary tumors: Treatment of Choice is medical management with dopamine agonist but in case medical management tails, Transsphenoidat resection of the tumor can be done which is more successful
- In the case of Microprolactinomas than larger tumors (Macro Protactinomas)
- Surgery is one of the treatment modalities but not the Treatment of choice and since no other option is correct so, for this question, it is our option of choice.