* Heparin is a blood thinner that is given to patients in order to prevent blood clot formation.
* The main function of heparin is to prevent the conversion of clotting factors to avoid the formation of blood clots.
* The main symptom of a heparin overdose is the occurrence of bleeding.
* The patient will experience GI bleeding, Nose Bleeding, petechia over the skin
* Protamine sulfate has been given to counteract the anticoagulant effect of heparin.
– It binds to heparin to form a stable ion pair, which does not have anticoagulant activity.
– The ionic complex is then removed and broken down by the reticuloendothelial system.