The drug shown in the picture below is life saving in cases of poisoning due to ?
Overdose of Opioid
- Opiate toxicity should be suspected when the clinical triad of the central nervous system (CNS) depression, respiratory depression, and pupillary miosis or myosis are present.
- Treatment :
- Airway control.
- Naloxone for the significant central nervous system (CNS) and/or respiratory depression
- It is a pure competitive antagonist of opioid receptors and lacks any agonist activity.
- It can be given by the intravenous (IV), intramuscular (IM), endotracheal (ET), or subcutaneous (SC) route.
- Nalmefene and naltrexone are newer opioid antagonists that have longer half-lives than naloxone (4-8 h and 8-12 h vs 1 h).