Identify the instrument shown in the picture below ?
Maddox rod test
- Ans.B. Hertel’s exophthalmometer
- The image shows Hertel’s exophthalmometer.
- Measures protrusion of the apex of cornea from the outer orbital margin (with the eyes looking straight ahead).
- An absolute protrusion of > 21 mm or a difference of > 2 mm between the two eyes is labeled as proptosis.
Instruments used to measure proptosis:
- Luedde exophthalmometer
- Hertel’s exophthalmometer: Most common instrument used. Its advantage is that it measures both eyes simultaneously.