Identify the clinical examination shown in the photograph below ?
Jugulodigastric LN palpation.
Submandibular LN palpation.
Laryngeal framework palpation.
Lower jugular LN examination.
Ans:B.)Submandibular LN palpation.
Palpation of head and neck lymph nodes:
- Preauricular : Palpated anterior to or in front of the ear.
- Post-auricular : palpated over the mastoid process
- Occipital : palpated at the base of skull posteriorly.
- Anterior Cervical (both superficial and deep):
- Nodes that lie both on top of and beneath the sternocleidomastoid muscles (SCM) on either side of the neck, from the angle of the jaw to the top of the clavicle.
- Upper,middle and lower jugular lymph nodes
- Posterior Cervical: Extend in a line posterior to the SCMs but in front of the trapezius, from the level of the mastoid bone to the clavicle.
- Tonsillar: Located just below the angle of the mandible.
- Sub-Mandibular: Along the underside of the jaw on either side.
- Sub-Mental: Just below the chin.
- Supra-clavicular: In the hollow above the clavicle, just lateral to where it joins the sternum. Drainage: Part of the throacic cavity, abdomen.
- Visceral space lymph nodes – midline group of cervical nodes from hyoid to sternal manubrium, includes prelaryngeal, pretracheal, and paratracheal.