Which muscle is an abductor of this structure as shown by an arrow in the image?
This structure is Vocal cord
Muscle which abduct the vocal cord is posterior cricoarytenoid only.
Intrinsic muscles of Larynx
- Divided into respiratory and the phonatory muscles (the muscles of phonation).
- The respiratory muscles move the vocal cords apart and serve breathing.
- The main respiratory muscles are the posterior cricoarytenoid muscles.
- Posterior cricoarytenoid muscles abduct and externally rotate the arytenoid cartilages, resulting in abducted vocal folds.
- The phonatory muscles move the vocal cords together and serve the production of voice. .
- The phonatory muscles are divided into adductors (lateral cricoarytenoid muscles, arytenoid muscles-transverse and oblique ) and tensors (cricothyroid muscles, thyroarytenoid muscles).