Image shows:The adenoids are enlarged and are narrowing the nasopharyngeal airway.
CLINICAL FEATURES OF ADENOID ENLARGEMENT
- Nasal obstruction is the commonest symptom
- Mouth breathing.
- Recurrent URTI,Nasal discharge, sinusitis, epistaxis, voice change-Rhinolalia Clausa.
- ET obstruction: Conductive hearing loss- CSOM, SOMAdenoid facies: elongated face with dull expression, open mouth, prominent and crowded upper teeth, hitched up upper lip, high arched palate
- Adenoid is a common cause of Eustachian Disease
- Pulmonary hypertension and Cor pulmonale
- Aprosexia – lack of concentration.
- Failure to thrive.
ASSESMENT OF ADENOID ENLARGEMENT
- Size of adenoids may well be assessed using lateral radiograph of nasopharynx and Nasal Endoscopy and CT scan is not necessary
- For the treatment of enlarged adenoids when symptoms are not marked breathing excercise, decongenstant nasal drops and antihistaminics are used and when symptoms are marked, adenoidectomy is done.