NECROBIOSIS LIPOIDICA DIABETICORUM
• A disorder of collagen degeneration with a granulomatous response, thickening of blood vessel walls, and fat deposition
• The main complication of the disease is ulceration, usually occurring after trauma
• Strongly associated with diabetes mellitus
• Usually present with shiny, asymptomatic patches that slowly enlarge over months to years
• The patient’s main complaint is the unsightly cosmetic appearance of the lesions.
• Most cases of necrobiosis lipoidica occur on the pretibial area