Histology slide of a gland is given diagram, identify the type of gland which marked as ‘A’ in image:
A – oral sebaceous (Fordyce) gland
B – duct of oral sebaceous gland
- This is a section through a Fordyce spot (A).
- These glands are simple alveolar and have a holocrine mode of secretion.
- Note their similarity to the sebaceous glands associated with hair follicles.
- The cells arise in the base of the gland and begin to produce an oily product – sebum.
- The accumulation of sebum eventually kills the cell and it is secreted as a sac of oil through the duct (B).