A 24-year-old female presented with an ulcer in the genital area. A Giemsa stained cervical smear was taken which showed the following image. Identify the causative agent:
Ans: D. Calymmatobacterium donovani
- Coccobacilli seen in the Giemsa-stained specimen suggest a diagnosis of granuloma inguinale.
- Seen intracellularly in mononuclear cells.
- Minute, encapsulated, coccobacilli.
- Closely related to Klebsiella genus.
- Sexually transmitted.
- Causes Granuloma inguinale/ donovanosis – chronic inflammatory disease.