A patient presented with headache and projectile vomiting along with alteration in sensorium. The following parasite demonstrated on India ink staining. What is the likely diagnosis?
Ans: D. Cryptococcus
Ref: Ananthanarayan p6I6, 8/e p611; Harrison 19/e p1340, Jawetz 27/e p687-688)
- The diagram above shows capsule of Cryptococcus stained with India ink.
- Alternate staining methods are nigrosin and mucicarmine
- Requires the demonstration of yeast cells in normally sterile tissues.
- Visualization of the capsule of fungal cells in cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) mixed with India ink is a useful rapid diagnostic technique.
- Cryptococcal cells in India ink have a distinctive appearance because their capsules exclude ink particles.