Estrogen and progesterone in the first 2 months pregnancy are produced by:
Ans: D. Corpus luteum
- Estrogen and progesterone in first 2 months of pregnancy – Produced by Corpus luteum.
Functions of corpus luteum:
- Enlarged corpus luteum of pregnancy secretes estrogens, progesterone & relaxin.
- Progesterone & relaxin –
- Helps maintain pregnancy.
- By inhibiting myometrial contractions.
- Progesterone prevents prostaglandin production by uterus – Stops contractions.
- Corpus luteum function begins to decline after 8 weeks of pregnancy.
- Yet persists throughout pregnancy.
- In humans, the placenta produces sufficient estrogen & progesterone from maternal & fetal precursors taking over corpus luteum function after the 6th week of pregnancy.
- Ovariectomy before the 6th week à Hence causes abortion.
- Ovariectomy after the 6th week doesn’t affect pregnancy.
- hCG secretion decreases after the initial marked rise.
- Estrogen & progesterone secretion increase until just before parturition.