ln the given Leishman’s stained blood smear’ identify the cell, which is raised markedly in worm infestations:
Ans: C. C
(Ref Wintrobe., 13/e p303; Robbins 9,e p99).
- A: Lymphocyte; B: Neutrophil; C: Eosinophil; D: Basophil.
- Eosinophils are markedly raised in worm infestations.
- Bacterial infections induce an increased blood neutrophil count.
- Viral infections (infectious mononucleosis, mumps & German measles).
- Cause an absolute lymphocytes increase (lymphocytosis).
- In some allergies & parasitic infestations – Due to increased eosinophils.
- Protozoal infections (if any) à Decreased circulating white cells (leukopenia).