An infectious cause of erythema multiforme in the given image is –
Answer:C-Herpes simplex virus
- Herpes simplex is the primary cause of erythema multiforme, and the virus is present in 70 percent of recurrent erythema multiforme cases. Both types of herpes simplex virus (HSV) can cause the condition, but HSV-1, which also causes cold sores, is responsible for most cases.
Causes of Erythema multiforme
- Idiopathic → Most common cause
- Viral → HSV (most important) HBV, Mumps, Adenovirus
- Bacteria → Streptococci, tuberculosis
- Fungal → Coccidioidomycosis, Histoplasmosis.
- Drugs →Antibiotics (Sulphonamide), Phenytoin, NSAIDs.
- Autoimmune disease → SLE, thyroiditis, RA
- Others → Sarcoidosis, Pregnancy, Malignancy.