Identify the sleep wave marked in the EEG during the sleep-wake cycle?
Stage 1 sleep
Stage 2 sleep
Stage 3 sleep
Ans: B. REM sleep
- Due to the “presence of rapid eye movement” recorded on electrooculogram.
- Has paradoxical elevation of brain activity, metabolism & physiological activity.
- “High-amplitude slow waves” replaced by “rapid, low voltage activity & beta wave” –
Features of REM sleep:
1. In EEG recording:
- Reappearance of alpha wave.
- Saw-tooth wave (low voltage fast activity).
- Ponto- genital-occipital spikes.