The shown angle in the image is known as:
Ans: a. Cobb’s angle
The image shows the Scoliosis pattern in Vertebra.
- The Cobb Angle is used as a standard measurement to determine and track the progression of scoliosis.
How to calculate Cobb angle
- The angle of curvature is measured by drawing lines parallel to the upper border of the upper vertebral body and the lower border of the lowest vertebra of the structural curve.
- Then erecting perpendiculars from these lines to cross each other, the angle between these perpendiculars being the ‘angle of curvature’
- A Cobb angle of 10 degrees is regarded as a minimum angulation to define Scoliosis.
- The Cobb Angle helps a doctor to determine what type of treatment is necessary.
- The prevalence of adolescent idiopathic scoliosis when defined as a curvature > 10 degrees is 2-3%.
- The prevalence of curvatures > 20 degrees is between 0.3 and 0.5%.
- The prevalence of curvatures > 40 degrees are found in less than 0.1% of the population.