Identify the stage of ASOM:
The image shows the stage of pre-suppuration of acute suppurative otitis media.
- During this stage, due to prolonged tubal occlusion pyogenic organisms invade the tympanic cavity.
- Inflammatory exudate appears in the middle ear and there is congestion of pars tensa.
- A Leash of blood vessels appears along with the handle of malleus and at the periphery of the tympanic membrane imparting it a cart-wheel appearance.
- Later, the whole of the tympanic membrane including pars flaccida becomes uniformly red.
- Symptoms of this stage: There is marked earache, a high degree of fever, deafness and tinnitus (seen only in adults).
- Tuning fork tests show the conductive type of hearing loss.