Which category is the instrument given below classified?
Ans. A. Direct Laryngoscope
- Macintosh Curved Blade laryngoscope is the most frequently used laryngoscope for direct Laryngoscopy & for tracheal intubation.
- A direct laryngoscopy allows visualization of the larynx.
- It is used during general anesthesia, surgical procedures around the larynx, and resuscitation.
- This tool is useful in multiple hospital settings, from the emergency department to the intensive care unit and the operating room.
- By visualizing the larynx, endotracheal intubation is facilitated.
- This is an important step for a range of patients who are unable to secure their own airway, including those with altered mental status and those who are undergoing a surgical procedure.
- Direct laryngoscopy to perform endotracheal intubation is indicated in the emergent setting in perioperative settings or the intensive care setting.
- Direct laryngoscopy has few absolute contraindications.
- Such absolute contraindications involve supraglottic and glottic lesions that would prohibit the advancement of the endotracheal tube (ETT) such as high-grade subglottic or glottic stenosis or complete obstruction by supraglottic or glottic tumors.