|A.||India ink preparation of CSF is helpful|
Zidovudine is the treatment of choice
Maintenance therapy is needed in HIV patients
CNS disease occurs only in disseminated disease
· The characteristic CSF abnormalities in fungal meningitis are mononuclear or lymphocytic pleocytosis, an increased protein concentration, and a decreased glucose concentration.
· CSF India ink preparation shows the polysaccharide capsule of the cryptococcus as a clear ‘halo’ surrounding the organism
· The cryptococcal polysaccharide antigen test is highly sensitive.
· Treatment consists of combination chemotherapy with conventional amphotericin B and flucytosine for 2 to 4 weeks and then switching to fluconazole for 8 weeks.
· Lifelong fluconazole therapy is indicated in patients with AIDS