Confirmed causes of recurrent abortion
• Recurrent abortion: RPL- (recurrent pregnancy loss): – It is defined as a sequence of three or more consecutive spontaneous abortions before 20 weeks. American society for reproductive medicine (2013) defines RPL as 2 or more failed pregnancies confirmed by USG or histologically.
• Uterine causes account for 10-50 %.
• M/c cause of RPL is cervical incompetence followed by uterine malformations.
• Uterine causes lead to 2nd trimester abortions/
• Most common uterine cause is cervical incompetence >uterine malformation.
o Uterine malformations
o Septate uterus
o Cervical incompetence
o Endometrial polyp
3.Chromosomal Abnormality-Balanced translocation
4. Antiphospholipid antibody syndrome-5-15%