Why glycopyrrolate is used as pre-anesthetic medication ?
A. it is used because it is an anxiolytic.
B. Because it decreases the secretions.
C. It’s used as an induction agent.
D. Both A & B
Ans. D. Both A & B
* Refers to drug usage before anesthesia to have pleasant & safe anesthetic experience.
Need for premedications:
* Relief of anxiety & apprehension preoperatively.
* Facilitate smooth induction.
* Amnesia for preoperative & postoperative events.
* Supplement & potentiate analgesic action of anesthetics.
* Reduces anesthetic dose.
* Decrease secretions & vagal stimulation to avoid undesirable reflex.
* Prevention of post-operative nausea & vomiting.
* Extendable antiemetic effect into the postoperative period.
* To decrease any chances of aspiration.
* Decrease acidity & volume of gastric juice for reduced damage, if aspirated.
* Note: For elective surgeries, hemoglobin should be at least 10 gm/dl or more.