Amniotic fluid index
• Imagine the uterus in 4 parts and in these 4 parts measure the single largest vertical pocket.
• Here in this image the uterus is divided into 4 quadrants and the single largest vertical pocket namely A, B, C & D are measured.
• AFI= A+B+C+D= 5-24 (NORMAL)
• >25 cm is polyhydramnios & <5 cm oligohydramnios.
• AFI is not appropriate to use in twin pregnancy. Therefore, the best sensitive method is to measure single Deepest vertical pocket (SDP).
Amniotic fluid index explained with images