Durg of choice in Delirium tremens is
Ans. C i.e. Chlordiazepoxide
Treatment of delirium
- Hospitalization, preferably in an ICU, is indicated and treatment should be directed at the underlying cause.
- Metabolic abnormalities are corrected and hydration and nutrition cared for.
- Medicines are essential to control psychotic symptoms, agitation, and restlessness.
Drugs used are:
- Antipsychotics (Neuroleptic) – Drugs of choice.
- Typical antipsychotics: – Haloperldol (Drug of choice), Thioridazine, Chlorpromazine,
- Atypical antipsychotics – Risperidone, Quetiapine, Olanzapine.
- Benzodiazepines: Used for delifium related to alcohol (delirium tremens):
- Chlordiazepoxide, Diazepam, Lorazepam, Clonazepam.