Autism-Signs, Symptoms & Management
Autistic signs & symptoms:
Interacting with others-
- Little interest in interacting with other people or children of same age group (Lack of social reciprocity)
- Preferring to play alone
- Lack social smile.
- Avoiding eye contact
- Being unusually intolerant of people entering their own personal space
- Rarely using gestures or facial expressions when communicating.
Responding to others-
- Rejecting cuddles initiated by a parent or caregiver
- Reacting unusually negatively
- Not responding to their name being called.
- Delayed speech development, or not speaking at all
- Frequent repetition of set words and phrases
- Preferring to communicate using single words
- Significant delay in language milestones.
- Speech that sounds very monotonous.
- Repetitive movements – Stereotyped behaviors (hand wringing, spinning & banging).
- Have a familiar routine – On disturbance exhibit excessive reaction.
- Strong like or dislike of certain foods with unusual sensory interests.
- No “cure” for ASD – Mainly supportive management usually early intervention needed.
- Speech & language therapy
- Cognitive behavior therapy.
- Joint attention therapy.
- Behavioral management therapy.
- Nutritional therapy.
- Educational and school-based therapies.
- Occupational therapy.