The condition shown in the picture above represents black eye which occur due to contusion.
Black eye (periorbital hematoma)is bruising around the eye , caused by bleeding beneath the skin , around the eye.
- Is an effusion of blood into tissues due to rupture of subcutaneous vessel.
- It is a superficial injury.
- Migratory or Ectopic or Percolated contusions: injury at one site, contusion at a remote site due to gravitation of blood
- Fracture of floor of anterior cranial fossa – bruising around eye (black eye or spectacle hematoma)
- Fracture of floor of middle cranial fossa – bruising over mastoid (battle’s sign)
- Fracture of jaw – bruising in the neck
- Fracture of pelvis – bruising over thigh
- Fracture femur – bruise in lower thigh or above knee
- Calf injury -bruise in ankle.