Identify the device shown in the image.
Laryngeal Mask Airway
Ans:D. Laryngeal Mask Airway
Laryngeal mask airway
- A type of supraglottic airway.
- It is also referred to as Brain mask as it was invented by Dr. Archies Brain.
- LMA provides an airway intermediate between the face mask and tracheal tube
- It is a medical device that keeps a patient’s airway open during anaesthesia or unconsciousness.
- The principle of LMA is that it provides an effective gas-tight seal around the laryngeal inlet without anything having to pass through the vocal cord.
- LMA is very effective in maintaining a patent airway in the spontaneously breathing patient.
- It is composed of an airway tube that connects to an elliptical mask with a cuff which is inserted through the patient’s mouth, down the windpipe, and once deployed forms an airtight seal on top the glottis (unlike tracheal tubes which pass through the glottis) allowing a secure airway to be managed by a health care provider.
- LMA is available in 8 different sizes
- One of the major disadvantages of LMA is that its seal around laryngeal inlet does not always prevent aspiration.
- Therefore, LMA should not be used where there is an increased risk of aspiration of stomach contents, e.g.’ full stomach patient.