A smear was prepared from the genital ulcer. Identify the organism responsible:
Ans. is C. i.e. Trichomonas vaginalis
Given smear shows infestation of Trichomonas vaginalis.
Investigations for trichomonas vaginitis:
- IOC– Saline microscopy– Typical motile flagellated trichomonas seen or some kind of motility seen trichomonas may be seen on a pap smear.
- Pap smear shows trichomonas, do saline microscopy to further confirm the diagnosis before initiating treatment.
- Gold standard investigation: Culture on- Feinberg’ Whittington media or Diamond media.
- Amine test/whiff test. i.e. 10% KOH added to discharge-May be positive/or negative due to its association with Bacterial vaginosis.
Diagnosis of trichomonas vaginitis
- Examination of wet film at 35°C
- Gram stain or Leishman stain is negative.
- Culture diagnosis
- PCR and NAAT(most sensitive)
- Antigen testing
- Pap smears a greyish blue pear-shaped structure without the flagella.
- A woman diagnosed with Trichomoniasis should also be evaluated for Other venereal diseases