A. There is failure to thrive.
B. Mouth breathing is seen.
C. CT scan should be done to assess size.
D. a and b.
Ans:D.a and b.There is failure to thrive and Mouth breathing is seen.
The structure marked by an arrow in the picture above represents Adenoid.
- Sub epithelial collection of lymphoid tissue at the junction of posterior wall and roof of nasopharynx.
- Nasal obstruction is the commonest symptom
- Mouth breathing,Failure to thrive
- Recurrent URTI,Nasal discharge, sinusitis, epistaxis, voice change-Rhinolalia Clausa.
- Eustachian Tube obstruction: Conductive hearing loss- CSOM, SOM
- Adenoid is a common cause of Eustachian Disease
- Adenoid facies: elongated face with dull expression, open mouth, prominent and crowded upper teeth, hitched up upper lip, high arched palate
- Pulmonary hypertension and Cor pulmonale
- Aprosexia – lack of concentration.
- Size of adenoids may well be assessed using lateral radiograph of nasopharynx and Nasal Endoscopy and CT scan is not necessary
- For the treatment of enlarged adenoids when symptoms are not marked breathing excercise, decongenstant nasal drops and antihistaminics are used and when symptoms are marked, adenoidectomy is done.