Which statement is incorrect about the pathology shown in the image:
A. Tumor arise from epiphyseal to metaphyseal region
B. Tumor has distinct margin
C. Eccentric lesion
D. Chemotherapy is the treatment of choice
Answer. D. Chemotherapy is the treatment of choice
Given image is of Giant cell tumor
- Giant cell tumors of bone, also known as osteoclastomas, are relatively common bone tumors and are usually benign.
- They typically arise from the metaphysis of long bones, extend into the epiphysis adjacent to the joint surface, and have a narrow zone of transition.
There are four characteristic radiographic features when a giant cell tumor is located in a long bone:
- occurs only with a closed growth plate
- abuts articular surface: 84-99% come within 1 cm of the articular surface 1
- well-defined with non-sclerotic margin(though
- eccentric: if large this may be difficult to assess
Classically, treatment is with curettage and packing with bone chips or polymethylmethacrylate (PMMA).