A. Epiglottis is large and omega shaped.
B. Cricoid narrowest part.
C. It extends till C4,5,6 vertebrae.
D. a and b.
Ans:D. a.Epiglottis is large and omega shaped. and b.Cricoid narrowest part
The stage of life shown in the picture above represents neonate.
ANATOMY OF AIRWAY IN NEONATE
- Proportionately larger head and tongue, the tongue is often pushed against the palate
- Narrow nasal passages
- Anterior and cephalad larynx (the larynx is anteriorly inclined)
- Epiglottis is soft, large and patulous, Omega shaped and inclined at 45°.
- Larynx is situated high up (C2 – C4). (in adults = C3 – C6)
- Of equal size in both sexes (in adults it is larger in males)
- Larynx is funnel shaped
- The narrowest part of the infantile larynx is the junction of subglottic larynx with trachea( rather than the rima glottidis ) and this is because cricoid cartilage is very small
- Laryngeal cartilages are soft and collapse easily
- Short trachea and short neck.
- Thyroid cartilage is flat. The cricothyroid and thyrohyoid spaces are narrow.