True about cyst of ovaryas shown in image
A. It is teratoma
B. Frequently undergo torsion
C. X-ray is diagnostic
This cyst is dermoid cyst
Ans. is a. b, and c i.e. It is teratoma; Frequently undergo torsion; X-ray is diagnostic; and Contains sebaceous material and hairs
Dermoid cyst (mature teratoma) :
- Most comon benign ovarian neoplasm.
- Mostly affect women of reproductive age group.
- Morphologically dermoid cyst is unilocular with smooth surface.
- On cross section — cysts are unilocular and typically contain are area of localised growth that prottectes into the cystic cavity called as Rokintansky protuberance / dermoid process.
- It contains sebaceous material and hair with teeth. bone, cartilage, thyroid tissue.
- If teeth or bone are seen in X-ray in adnexal mass, this finding is pathognomic for teratoma.
- Dermoid cyst are bilateral in 12% to 15% and frequently arise in association with mucinous cystadenomas.